This is my go-to recipe for times when i have picked too many or I have a glut of beetroot. SECRET INGREDIENT REVEALED BELOW! It's also a fabulous recipe for creating pretty presents or counter top displays in your kitchen. This recipe is SUPER EASY... and you can customise the quantities to taste just how you like it.
To make Cheat's Pickled Beets you will need:
- 1 Large jar with an air tight seal (sterilised) I prefer to use 500ml Jars.
- 4-5 Beetroot
- Sarson's Distilled Pickling Vinegar (The Secret Ingredient)
- 1 -2 tbsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tbsp Crushed, dried chillies
- 1/2 tsp All Spice
- 1/2 tsp Rock Salt
- Trim the tops off your beets but leave the roots ON then wash off any soil remains.
- If you are planning on cooking a variety of different coloured beetroot you will need to separate them at this point. The dark red beets will stain all the others while cooking and then while in the pickle jar and you'll loose all their gorgeous colours.
- Wrap in foil then roast at 180 Fan until soft or boil for 40 mins. Once ready eave them to cool and then stick on your Marigolds and peel the skins off.
- Ensure your jar has been sterilised - this is key to ensure the longevity of your preserves.
- Slice your beets or chop into cubes and add to jar.
- Add all the other dry ingredients
- This is the CHEAT element. Sarson's make a PRE-MADE distilled pickling vinegar which is already infused with spices. The extra spices I suggest in this recipe just add a more intense flavour while providing a bit of decoration inside the jar. All you need to do is top up the jar with the distilled vinegar so it covers the beetroot.
- Ensure the jar is sealed, then tip it up a few times to mix. DO NOT SHAKE. Then step back and admire your handy work!
I have tried the same recipe with Radishes, and the process is even simpler - you just slice the radishes finely, no need to cook. One Large jar holds a lot of radishes so this is is a fabulous glut-busting recipe!
If you don't like any part of the recipe above or the quantities are not to your taste - you can easily adjust them to your liking.
Give it a go! Let me know how you get on in the comments below.